Saturday, March 20, 2010

Aaron's Vasectomy

So yesterday Aaron had his vasectomy. All week he was nervous and one particular coworker of his was making it worse for him as well. We get to the doctor's office at 1:30 for his appointment. The nurse takes us into the patient room and then proceeds to tell us that one of Aaron's friends called and told her to scare the life out of him regarding the procedure. Come to find out, it was this coworker so Aaron wanted her to call him back and tell him that Aaron had a heart attack during the procedure. So you can see how the appointment is starting.

We then get taken into the procedure room. Aaron is told to strip from the waist down and I get told where to stand in the room to watch the entire thing. Yes the doctor let me watch. He even said I could take pics and/or film it. I promise you, there are no pics or video of the procedure. I promised my husband and I stuck to that.

The nurse comes into to start the pre-op. We begin joking about our families and kids (she knew our son through some mutual friends). She shaves him and then proceeds to take about 10 pounds of soaked gauze for cleaning the area and prepping his "boys" for surgery. The doc then enters the room asking Aaron how he feels. Anyone who knows Aaron would know that this begins some fun banter.

Aaron: Doc, there is no reason to jump right in. Shouldn't we have dinner first?
Doc: Do we have to see a movie afterwards?
Aaron: No, no movie. Just dinner.
Doc: Do I have to call you tomorrow?
Aaron: Nope. You can treat me like a doormat and never call again.
Doc: Alright, next time I will call you for dinner first.
Aaron: Next time huh? We planning to meet like this frequently?
Doc: Well you are a little "nuts" about me aren't you?
Aaron: Oh straight to the nut jokes huh?
Doc: Why not?

This went back and forth for the entire procedure. I watched some of it and was rather impressed with how it is done. The rest of the time I sat and played games on Aaron's iPod. Hey I was just the driver for this procedure.

Anyway, it is now Saturday night and Aaron has been resting in our bed since we got home yesterday afternoon. He is getting cabin fever and says he feels guilty for not being able to help me with the kids. It is okay though. The kids are being very good with him (actually leaving him alone for the most part). He is returning to work on Monday and has his stitches taken out on Thursday.

And he has learned a whole new level of deep muscle pain!

No comments:

Post a Comment